The UCSF Smart Choice program has been developed from science-based standards to support the mission of the UCSF - "advancing health worldwide™"and UCSF Medical Center - "Caring, Healing, Teaching, Discovery" with the goal of assisting consumers to making informed choices when making food selections. This program has been based on the following standards and programs:
- Food Labeling: Trans Fatty Acids in Nutrition Labeling. (July 11, 2003). Federal Register, 68, number 133. Retrieved on October 8, 2008 from http://www.foodsafety.gov/~lrd/fr03711a.html
- Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine. (2002). Letter report on dietary reference intakes for trans fatty acids. PDF file retrieved on October 28, 2008 from http://www.iom.edu/Object.File/Master/13/083/TransFattyAcids.pdf
- Lichtenstein, A. H., et al. (2006). Diet and lifestyle recommendations revision 2006: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association nutrition committee American Heart Association. Circulation, 114, 82-96.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Introduction to the TLC diet. Retrieved September 23, 2008 from http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/cgi-bin/chd/step2intro.cgi
- Office of the Governor, Press Release. (July 25, 2008). Governor Schwarzenegger Promotes Health and Nutrition by Signing Nation-Leading Trans Fat Bill. Retrieved October 28, 2008 from http://gov.ca.gov/press-release/10291
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. (2005). Dietary guidelines for Americans 2005, executive summary. Retrieved September 23, 2008 from http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/executivesummary.htm